Mr Nicola Tollin
Nicola’s primary research focus is sustainable development oriented toward processes design and sustainable transition planning for cities and their regions. Specifically his research has concentrated on integrated evaluation of sustainability, future scenarios (visioning, forecasting and backcasting), system thinking, decision making processes, strategic planning, and stakeholder analysis. He has participated in several EU funded research and training programmes, utilising his expertise in climate change, waste management, resource efficiency, energy and material cycles. Most recently Nicola’s research activities have concentrated on sustainable production and consumption through the analysis of individual and social perception of waste and resources.
- MSc Architecture and Urban Planning (2003) University IUAV of Venice
- MPhil Sustainability, Technology and Humanity (2007) Technical University of Catalunya
- PhD Sustainability, Technology and Humanism (thesis currently under review) Technical University of Catalunya
2011-present Research and Knowledge Transfer Fellow, Centre for Sustainable Environments, University of Bradford
2007-2011 Project Manager, UNESCO Chair on Sustainability, Technical University of Catalunya
2005-2007 Research Assistant, UNESCO Chair on Sustainability, Technical University of Catalunya
2004-Present Independent Consultant (Sustainable Development)
2003-2004 Researcher, Technical University of Denmark
1998-2003 Assistant Researcher, Department of urban Planning, University IUAV of Venice
Membership of Professional Institutions
International Society of Ecological Economics ISEE
International Association for Impact Assessment IAIA
Association of European Schools of Planning, YA AESOP
International Federation of Housing and Planning IFHP
Regional Science Association International RSAI
Danish Research Network for Environment and Development ReNED
World Future Studies Federation WFSF
Shaping Tomorrow’s Foresight Network
- School of Engineering, Design and Technology, University of Bradford
- UNESCO Chair of Sustainability, Technical University of Catalunya
- Research Unit in Sustainability, Technology and Humanism, Technical University of Catalunya
Recent Research and Training Activity
- EU EASY-ECO Evaluation of Sustainability
- EU WISE Waste in a Social Environment
- EU STAR-CITY: Science, Technology and Research: The green city of the future
- EU ATOMS&BITS. The New Silk Road: Fostering Euro-Asian Dialogue on Sustainable Urban Development
- EU HDGEC Human Dimension of Global Environmental Change
- Future Research Agenda for Tall Buildings
- Climate Change in Cities and Regions: Resilience, innovation and social cohesion in EU and Latin America
- 2010 Sustainable Systems: Harmonizing Policy, Technology, Product Design and Resource Management (FI)
- 2009 International Conference on Measurement, Modeling and Evaluation of Sustainability II (ES)
- 2009 Sustainable Energy Technology VI (DE)
- 2006 International Conference on Measurement, Modeling and Evaluation of Sustainability I (ES
- Tollin N. Integrated Evaluation of Sustainable Urban Development through Systems Thinking and Future Scenarios: Toward a methodology to support participative decision making processes. Phd thesis. Supervisors: Prof. J. Alvarez del Castillo – Emr. Prof. Leo Jansen. Under review.
- Tollin N. Wierink M., Human and Social Perception of Resources and Waste: Material cycles, time and perception, Summer Symposium on Sustainable System, Aalto University 06/2010
- Tollin N. Planning without a Plan: Process Design and Participative Planning at Roskilde. University of Prague – Association of European Schools of Planning YA 02/2010
- Tollin N. The Social and Human Use and Perception of Resources and Waste. Waste in a Social Environment, University of Aachen, EU WISE 11/2009
- Tollin N. Helgenberger S., Balslev S., Alvarez J. Evaluating and Planning Sustainable Urban Development: The use of future scenarios between facts and values, IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. Volume 6, Issue 57, 03/2009
- Tollin N. Helgenberger S., Alvarez J. Future Scenarios Methodologies for Planning Urban Sustainable Development: Planning as rear view mirror or crystal ball? AESOP YA and Technical University of Vienna -AT- 02/ 2009
- Heidrich O. Harvey J. Tollin N. Stakeholder Analysis for Industrial Waste Management Systems. Waste Management, Volume 29 Issue 2, 02/2009
- Tollin N., Evaluation of Urban Sustainable Development Science Technology and Research: The city of the future, Technical University of Lisbon, EU MC STaR, -PT- 10/ 2008.
- Harvey J. Heidrich O. Tollin N. A Stakeholder Risk Assessment Methodology for an Industrial Waste Management System. 9th International Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management Conference, Hong Kong, 05/2008
- Tollin N., Karaglou M., Pereira J.P., et al. Building the World Heritage of the Future: Integrated Sustainable Systems, University of Duisburg-Essen, EU MC STaR, Obidos -PT- 04/ 2008
- Tollin N. Future Scenarios for Sustainable Urban Development Department of Planning and Management of Building Processes, Technical University of Denmark -DK- 03/ 2008.
- Tollin N., Alvarez del Castillo J., Book C. System Dynamics as System Thinking in Evaluation of Urban Sustainability: Governance by Evaluation University of Vienna, EU MC Easy-Eco, -AT-03/ 2008.
- Tollin N., Balslev S., Alvarez J., Future Scenario and Decision Making: the Use of Backcasting in the Evaluation of Urban Sustainable Development, Human Dimension of Global Environmental Change: Participation in earth governance, Free University of Berlin, EU MC HDGEC, -DE- 02/ 2008.
- Tollin N. Waste??? Values and Perceptions of Waste. City of the future: Changing waste in resource management, , University of Sofia, EU STaR, -BL- 11/ 2007.
- Tollin N. Taking a Stand on Urban Sustainable Development City of the Future: Acting in a Sustainable Community, University IUAV of Venice, EU STaR, -IT- 09/ 2007
- Tollin N. Integrated Evaluation of Sustainable Energy Alternatives: The hydrogen society, University of Duisburg-Essen, EU STaR, -IT-. 04/2007.
- Tollin N. Systems Dynamics and Future Scenarios in Integrated Evaluation for Sustainable Urban Development: Toward a methodology to support decision making processes, Technical University of Catalunya: Barcelona. 2007. - MPhil thesis. Supervisors Prof. J. Alvarez– Emr. Prof. Leo Jansen
- Carrera E. De Felipe J. Sureda B. Tollin N. (Eds) 1st International Conference on Sustainability Measurement and Modeling CIMNE: Barcelona. 2006
- Tollin N. Harvey J. Tenerelli P. et al. Alderney Small Sustainable Community Development and Planning: Small Islands Development, EU MC STaR, Channel Islands -ACI- 10/ 2006.
- Tollin N. System Dynamics as a Support Tool for Decision Taking and Policy Making: Evaluation as performance assessment, Saarland University, EU Easy-Eco, -DE-. 10/ 2006.
- Felipe J.J., Sureda B. Tollin N. Antonini A. Future Scenarios for the Sustainable Development of Terrassa: Informe de Conjuntura de Terrassa. MT: Terrassa 09/2006
- Tollin N. De Felipe J. Sureda B. Forecasting Scenarios: Raising Awareness toward Sustainable Development. Future Matters: Future known, created and minded, Cardiff University -UK-. 09/2006.
- Tollin N. Integrated Approach to Sustainable Urban Development Living in a Sustainable Community;, National Technical University of Athens, Athens, EU STaR, -GR-. 05/2006.
- Tollin N. Re-thinking Waste Management under Sustainable Development Paradigm Waste: Changing problems into possibilities; University of Duisburg-Essen, EU STaR, 02/ 2006.
- Jensen J. Tollin N. Networks as Tools for Sustainable Urban Development: Innovation, sustainability and policy; Federal Ministry for Education and Research of Germany. Seeon - Munich, -DE-. 05/2004
- Tollin N. Creativity and Innovation in the Industrial District of Montebelluna: A model of strategic sustainable planning, University IUAV of Venice: Venezia. 2003. - MSc thesis, supervisor Prof. Longhi